Nov 18 -
The temperatures are looking pretty mild this weekend. Which will be good for getting out. Just not on skis.
Friday is supposed to be Sugarloaf’s opening day. But Mother Nature isn’t been cooperating with the snow guns. The mountain report lists the primary surface as “fast grass.” But that can change any day. So keep checking the Sugarloaf mountain report for late breaking trail openings. Here are the planned opening days for more mountains:
- Mt. Abram Ski Resort: Dec. 10
- Big Rock Ski Resort: Dec. 10
- Lost Valley: Dec. 16
- Camden Snow Bowl: Dec. 17
- Saddleback Ski Area: Dec. 17
Sunday River still has trails open.
Tin Mountain Roundup
Sunday River is discounting lift tickets for skiers who donate food Saturday and Sunday. Three or more nonperishable food items is worth $10.
Warren Miller…Like There’s No Tomorrow
If you missed it Friday, you get another chance to see the epic ski film next week in Portsmouth.
There are a few chances to get some deals on used gear this weekend. Remember that you usually have to drop off gear for sale on the Friday night before the sale. Check for details.
- Yarmouth Ski Club Swap (9 a.m. - noon Saturday)
- Camden Hills Regional High School Ski Sale (9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Saturday & Sunday)
- Pinnacle Ski Club Sale (9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday)
Catch up on your reading
While you’re waiting for your tuned up skis to come back from the shop, catch up on what you need to know to enjoy the upcoming ski season.
- Save money by skiing & snowboarding at Maine’s family-sized alpine areas : Nice roundup of what some of the smaller mountains have to offer skiing families. (Maine Travel Maven)
- Ski resorts turning to zip lines, indoor waterparks: Nice roundup of the other things you can do at ski resorts. (The Boston Globe)
- Videos - How to Sharpen and Wax Your Skis: Speaking of tune ups, here are some videos that show you how to do it yourself. (A Family Skiing in Maine)
- Get your body in shape before you hit the slopes: Because your body needs a tune-up also. (PoconoRecord.com)
Mark your calendars now. Sugarloaf and Sunday River will offer Maine residents discounted lift tickets, rentals, and ski school packages Dec. 11.